Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality
Congestion Mitigation Air Quality (CMAQ) is a federal program, whose primary goals are to improve air quality and reduce congestion. CMAQ provides funding for transportation projects or programs that will contribute to attainment or maintenance of the National Ambient Air Quality Standards for ozone, carbon dioxide, and particulate matter (both PM10 and PM2.5).
With the Merced County Region designated as nonattainment for ozone and PM2.5, and attainment for PM10, the Merced County Association of Governments (MCAG) receives about $3 million a year of apportioned CMAQ funding. The Governing Board approves the programming of these CMAQ funds to eligible projects sponsored by the local agencies.
Per the federal CMAQ program guidance, project/program eligibility criteria are as follows:
- It must be transportation related.
- It must generate an emissions reduction. Per the California Air Resources Board cost-effectiveness calculations, CMAQ projects must show (and report) emission reduction benefit.
- It must be located in or benefit a nonattainment or maintenance area.
Program of Projects
For the past number of years, CMAQ has been programmed for a variety of purposes including transit projects and programs (i.e. expanded service pilot; public outreach and education), rideshare marketing, diesel equipment replacements, street sweeper replacements, bike/pedestrian projects, traffic flow improvements (i.e. traffic signals synchronization; roundabouts; turn lane pockets).
CALL For Projects - FAll 2022
There is approximately $3 million of CMAQ funding available in the upcoming Federal Fiscal Years. On October 20, 2022, the MCAG Governing Board adopted the updated Goals and Procedures for Programming CMAQ Funds in order to provide guidance. The Board also authorized staff to release the CMAQ “Call for Projects” to the member jurisdictions (only the cities and the County may apply).
The deadline for application submittal is December 21, 2022.
- CMAQ "Call for Projects" - Release October 24, 2022
- Application Deadline - December 21, 2022.
- CMAQ Committee to Evaluate Applications - January 2023
- MCAG Board to Act on Recommendations and FTIP Programming - February 16, 2023
- Anticipated Caltrans and FHWA Approvals - April 2023
Following are the materials, which will be required with application submittal: